The Kentucky Distillers’ Association, a 136-year-old, non-profit organization that promotes, protects and elevates the Commonwealth’s signature Bourbon and distilled spirits industry, is seeking intern candidates for the summer of 2016.
KDA internships are not paid, but course credit is available with select colleges and universities.
Given the diverse services offered by the KDA, interns have the opportunity to observe and participate in numerous business functions including marketing, public relations, hospitality, merchandise, event coordination and governmental affairs.
The KDA has a strong track record of assisting interns with job opportunities upon graduation, including placement within Kentucky’s distilling industry.
Intern candidates must be at least 21 years old with strong computer skills, a positive attitude and attention to detail, and a high level of professionalism. All interns are required to sign a standard confidentiality agreement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guest services and information through a variety of communication outlets
- Assist in updating websites for the KDA and the Kentucky Bourbon Trail® tours
- Manage request for information for the Kentucky Bourbon Trail® experiences
- Assist with events including the Kentucky Bourbon Festival and the Bourbon Chase
- Help Homeplace Coordinator with organization of office and daily duties
- Monitor Bourbon industry advertisements and articles in various publications
- Attend, participate and help execute various advisory group and committee meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the President, Directors and Homeplace Coordinator
- Minimum 16 hours a week required (more if course credit is involved)
- Flexible on days and locations worked
- Some nights/weekend special events
- Mileage reimbursement included (daily commute not included)
“KDA gave me a variety of learning experiences that have helped me in my career. I was able to interact with the media, talk shop with Master Distillers and lead learning discussions with Bourbon consumers. This experience was invaluable because the culture within our company is very similar to the culture at KDA – full of diverse thinkers and people eager to learn. From leading prototype tastings with our brand teams to developing and sharing cocktail creations as a Brand Ambassador, I have always felt comfortable in the training that the KDA has given me.”
Cammie Jones Product Development Scientist Brown-Forman
“Being a KDA intern gave me inside exposure to key players in our signature industry that ultimately helped me obtain a great job at Heaven Hill Brands. I think back fondly on my time working at KDA and their Kentucky Bourbon Trail® tour, as I now have the opportunity to work each day to promote Kentucky Bourbon.”
Max Stefka Associate Brand Manager Heaven Hill Brands
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com with “KDA Internship” in the subject line. Applications that are submitted to other e-mails addresses, or that do not contain “KDA Internship” in the subject line, will not be accepted. Hard copies may be submitted to KDA Internship, 614 Shelby Street, Frankfort, Ky. 40601. The Kentucky Distillers’ Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Nothing in this posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.