Bourbon Tomato Jam
Recipe by Missy Hillock, Innkeeper of Chateau Bourbon Bed & Breakfast
Delicious on cheese biscuits or crackers, atop scrambled eggs or grilled meats, or simply eaten with a spoon! This jam is both spicy and sweet. Goes great with salty meats such as country ham.
(makes 1 cup of jam)
- 1 lb roma tomatoes, diced (or a 28oz canned diced tomatoes)
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tbsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup diced sweet onion
- A pinch of cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp Kentucky Bourbon
- Mix all ingredients except for the Bourbon in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring; Once the mix has come to a boil, increase the heat to medium-high to keep it at a boil.
- Stir and gently crush tomatoes with a wooden spoon as they soften. After about 5 minutes, add the Bourbon and mix through.
- Continue to cook until the liquid has become syrupy and thick (usually another 10-20 minutes). The end product will resemble preserves.
- Serve immediately or cool and store in fridge. Keeps 1-2 weeks in a sealed container.