Smoked Bourbon Barrel Aged Cachaca Brined Chicken
Recipe by Jamie Prouten, Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Manager at The Still at AMBRAbev
In Kentucky, we’ve found ways to use Bourbon for everything, and this recipe is no exception. Cachaça is a sugar cane based spirit that is specific to Brazil. AMBRAbev imports their Cachaça from Brazil and ages it in Bourbon barrels for their Cavaleiro. It’s truly unique and we think you’re gonna love it!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 cup AMBRAbev Cavaleiro Cachaça
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 3 Tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- Combine the Cachaça, salt, brown sugar, garlic, orange and peppercorn with 6 cups of water into a pot.
- Heat the mixture until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. When dissolved, remove the mixture from the heat and chill.
- When completely chilled, add the chicken to the pot and let brine overnight. Make sure the chicken is completely submerged.
- The next day remove the chicken and pat it dry with a towel. Season with the jerk seasoning and salt and then place the chicken in a smoker and cook at 300 degrees for about 2 hours or until the internal temperature is at least 165 degree. We use applewood pellets in our smoker but you can use whatever flavor you prefer.