Maker’s Mark Wood Finishing Series 2021 Limited Release is here – FAE-01
Maker’s Mark has always been proud of the fact that every single bottle has been made exactly like it was at the beginning — same original still design, mash and everything. But with the Wood Finishing Series, Maker’s is still finding new approaches to making bourbon that are completely unique.
“For 2021, we leaned into our column stills and nonchill-filtering process, which, simply put, helps us retain the texture and a higher viscosity of the whisky. What we got is an expression that highlights the fruit‑forward taste profile in an unexpected and much welcomed way. It tastes just like a barrel warehouse smells.” – Jane Bowie, Maker’s Mark Director of Innovation.
- Proof 110.3 – 110.6
- SRP $59.99
- Size 750ml
- On-shelf March 1
- AROMA: Heavy wood, dark fruit and tobacco
- TASTE: Deep and dried dark fruits, big midpalate with strong tobacco and barrel extractives
- FINISH: Creamy, lingering and round
- PROOF: Cask Strength
- The third limited release of the Maker’s Mark® Wood Finishing Series, following SE4xPR5 in 2020.
- The American oak staves are cooked on one side only in order to maximize the flavors pulled from the staves — the infrared side for heavier wood extractives and the raw side to allow more fruit-forward elements (first time Maker’s has used a stave that has raw wood).
- Nonchill-filtering allows long-chain fatty acid esters (FAEs) to remain in the liquid, which contributes to the creamier mouthfeel and helps preserve and elevate the fruit notes.
More to Come
- Another expression – FAE-02 – will be released in the fall.