I found an old bottle of Bourbon. How much is it worth?

We recommend checking Internet auction sites like ebay to determine what the value may be for old Bourbon or whiskey bottles. However,It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license. Please double check with your local state ABC to confirm with local laws, but the TTB requires anyone selling alcohol to have a license. This includes collectors selling old bottles to consumers.

How do I become a member of KDA?

KDA executives signing invitationsUnder the KDA Bylaws, any individual, business or institution engaged as a manufacturer, rectifier or bottler of distilled beverage spirits in Kentucky may apply. Approval is based on certain eligibility requirements and a vote by the KDA Board of Directors. If you’re interested in applying for KDA membership, please visit our Membership webpage on this site for additional information.

How do I become part of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail® tour?

KDA members in good standing may apply to become part of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail® tour and Kentucky Bourbon Trail® Craft Tour. Approval is based on eligibility, financial requirements and a vote by the KDA Board of Directors. Kentucky Bourbon Trail® and Kentucky Bourbon Trail Craft Tour® are registered trademark of the KDA.

Is Bourbon gluten-free?

The folks at http://www.celiac.com have a great article on this subject. Please check out http://www.celiac.com/articles/21886/1/Distilled-Spirits-Grain-Alcohols-and-Vinegar-Are-they-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

Does Bourbon have to be made in Kentucky?

No, but 95 percent of the world’s Bourbon is – and we’d highly recommend it. A 1964 Congressional Resolution declared Bourbon an indigenous product of the United States, meaning it must be made in this country (hence the saying that Bourbon is “America’s Official Native Spirit”). In other words, no other country can make a product and call it “Bourbon.” The original Congressional Resolution is on display at the Frazier History Museum in downtown Louisville.  We invite you to stop by and see this important piece of Bourbon history.

Who do I contact about advertising or sponsorships?

Call the KDA office at (502) 875-9351. But please understand that our budget is set annually and advertising and sponsorships are prioritized and approved a year in advance.

Are you available for speaking engagements?

Yes. Please call KDA office at (502) 875-9351 to check availability or schedule an engagement.

We’d like to have a Bourbon tasting event with distilleries. How can we set that up?

Tasting at Maker's MarkState laws and regulations govern the promotional sampling of alcoholic beverages. For questions about legality and licensure, please contact the Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (http://www.abc.ky.gov). We can help pass along information to our member distilleries about potential events. Please send details to enjoy@kybourbon.com.

Our organization is interested in inviting a master distiller to attend our upcoming event. Can the KDA help put us in contact with master distillers?

We would be happy to pass along your request to the master distiller your organization is interested in inviting.

Where can I purchase used Bourbon barrels?

We recommend contacting a cooperage with these requests.  Two cooperages in Kentucky that may be able to sell used barrels are Kevlin Cooperage in Louisville and Speyside Cooperage in Bardstown.

Would the KDA be willing to donate items for a local fundraiser?

Please contact our office at (502) 875-9351 or enjoy@kybourbon.com with your request.  The KDA does not donate items for charity events involving anyone under the legal drinking age.

Labeling standards – I found a bottle labeled as Kentucky Bourbon, but I don’t believe it meets the federal requirements of Bourbon.

The U.S. Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) are responsible for approving all labels affixed to all alcoholic containers.  Please feel free to contact their office directly at http://www.ttb.gov/about/contact.shtml

For additional information that may not have been covered in this section, please visit http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/alcohol_faqs.shtml.